Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Choosing the Right Summer Camp



The longer I am a camp director and work with young people, the more convinced I am that a good camp environment is truly a tremendous addition in growing up. I’ve always known that but it seems to become more and more valuable in a pretty hectic world. To me, part of my job as a camp professional is to help families find the right camp for their children and not just push Falcon all the time. I probably spend as much time in the winter pointing families in directions I think are better suited to them as I spend in advocating for Falcon. Hopefully that results in more happy families and campers, certainly it is one of the reasons Falcon feels like such an easy community for campers to be comfortable.

Because of my efforts to discuss the value of summer camp rather than just sell Falcon, I’ve ended up on the contact list of a number of writers on staff of different parent magazines and other similar media. Occasionally you see a published article and find that Falcon is the feature storyline and that’s kind of fun to read. With this writer, we were talking about overnight camp in general and were discussing how parents could find the right camp for their child and I asked her if she wanted to speak with a few of my camp families about it. That pretty much veered her writing in a different direction as I got permission from the John Family as a first time camp family and the Faxon Family as an experienced Falcon Family for the writer to speak with them. It’s nice to see our families involved and it’s nice to get some positive media even if it wasn’t originally planned that way.

Click on the link to read the full article:


No comments:

Post a Comment